*david*julie*gracie*samual*benson*brigham*


Tuesday, October 28, 2008

The new guy.


I am so glad that the intrepid husband took over my blog for a while so that all of you could see some updates and pictures of Baby Ben before now. Things are a little bit busier around here these days! :) But I am so so happy that little Benson has come to join our family. Many of the facts you already know. He was born at 4:29 pm weighing in at 9 lbs. 1 oz. He was 22 inches long and is a perfect as can be! David told the story the way he saw it, but since this blog is kind of a journal for me as well as a way to update my friends and family on my life, I want to share the story in my words as well.

Thursday morning at 10:00 am on Oct. 23, David and I arrived in labor and delivery at the hospital. I was told to change into the very fashionable hospital gown (even though there was a chance they would be sending me home?) and just sit and wait for the doctor. Dr. Wise didn't really want to induce me. She was afraid that for some reason the induction wouldn't work and she would have to do a c-section unnecessarily. After checking me she decided to start me on pitocin (10:50 am), but decided that she would not break my water. That way if the pitocin didn't do its job she could still send me home and I could wait for labor to start on its own (I am SO glad that didn't happen!). I decided not to get an epidural. I had one with Gracie that didn't work and really only caused me more stress and problems. I didn't have one with Sammy and my labor with him went so much smoother. I do think this one was harder though. It seemed so much sooner that I was just trying to breath through the contractions without hyperventilating because of pain (David and my mom were AMAZING labor coaches!). We found out when the midwife came in to check on me (4:00-ish pm) that it was because I was dilated to a 9 (I don't think any of us expected it to go so fast)! My water still hadn't even been broken. They called the doctor, but before she showed up I was ready to push the baby out. They told me "push if you feel like it." I had several moments of indecision... I was really past the point of caring who caught the baby when it came, as long as someone did. My thoughts ran more along the lines of, "Push if I feel like it? Am I ready for the excrutiating pain of the baby actually coming out, or would I like to just keep having these contractions for awhile...?" I have never been given such open ended instructions in labor before "If I feel like it...". With my other kids it was always, "Push now, " or in Gracie's case, "Don't push... just pant for an HOUR while you wait for the doctor to show up..." but I digress... So I was sitting there thinking, "what kind of instructions are 'if I feel like it...'" But I decided that I did feel like it and gave kind of a half push. Just then the doctor walked into the room. Again I was told, "Push if you feel like it." Whatever with this if I feel like it crap. Who feels like pushing a 14.5 centimeter head out of a 10 centimeter hole in their body. But since that is the only way for the baby to come out I decided to get down to business. I pushed with all my strenth! Then I pushed with all my strengh again through the next contraction and the next thing I knew there was a baby laying on top of me. They put this big napkin type thing on my stomach and set the baby right on it. I remember glancing up and seeing little baby boy parts out of the corner of my eye and then laying my head back to breath (it didn't register at that point that I had another son). Then I heard my mom say something about it not being the "pinkie pie" that Gracie wanted and I realized, "I have another son!" And I couldn't be happier about it! I think I really thought that he was going to be a girl (but I thought Sammy was a girl and Gracie was a boy so that should have clued me in right there right). He was a boy and he was perfect and he was covered in slimy stuff and was laying right on top of me and I coulnd't have been happier. The medical staff just kind of wiped off the gunk while he layed there. And when they did take him they didn't even leave the room, even when they found out he had low blood sugar (common in big babies) they left him with us to care for it. He had to endure little needle sticks in his foot all night and most of the next day, as well as iron fortified formula that stunk worse than any formula I have ever smelled before, but he was so brave and so sweet and really didn't even (and still doesn't) cry very much.

David was amazing through it all. He really didn't get any studying done for the test in pediatrics that he had to take Friday morning (shouldn't watching the birth of your son count as a HUGE test in pediatrics... he got an A on it by the way). He went and brought the kids to see baby Ben later that evening and then took them home and was just an awesome dad and husband through everything. I love you David!

Gracie wasn't excited at all to have a baby brother. She just wanted a sister. She didn't want to hold Ben or have anything to do with him until I actually just scooped her up on my lap and you can see her reaction after that in the above picture. She loves her baby brother (but is still holding me to my word that she will get to have a sister some day). She sings to him and hugs him and kisses him and helps her mommy get things for him. She is a great big sister. I love you Gracie!

Sammy has loved little Ben from second one. He also hugs and kisses him and is so sweet to him (although he enjoys poking him in the face). He also loves to climb into his car seat and play with the baby bouncer and other baby things. Yesterday morning when he woke up he ran into my room and his the very first thing he said was, "Baby?" He just wanted his baby brother. He is so gentle and loving to him. I love you Sammy!

It has been so fun to have my mom here too. I know I could never do this without her. In fact she may just have to move here. It has been so fun for the kids to be able to spend time with Grandma and so fun for me to be spoiled by her. I love you Mom!

And Ben is the sweetest little baby around! Even though I know he is 9 lbs. he still feels so tiny and fragile. I hate to sleep at night because I miss him. I love to cuddle with him and look into his eyes and just know that he is there. He is perfect for our family. I love you Ben!

13 comments:

Jenn said...

I love the name Benson. So cute!

Cicely said...

I'm so happy for you! Benson and Fetus Cain are going to be good friends.
ps. Miles keeps talking about Sammy.

Robin Keith said...

What a great story from your side. It was awesome and we really like having the personal account to read.
Besides...what does David know? Has he ever had an epideral? Has he ever felt labor pains? I think not. The woman only knows...but the guys do get a little panicky about the pain their wife is going through and helpless to do anything about it...
Right? Thanks..can't wait...to come...in only weeks...love,keithklan

Sharlon said...

Congrats again to all of you! I love the photos. Ben is as adorable as the other two. You guys make pretty babies!
Love ya all, wish I lived closer so I could bring you some goodies to enjoy!

Zukas Family said...

I loved reading that. You made me tear up. The picture of the guys is great! sammy sure loves his brother. That's just the sweetest thing. So there's a lot of hard work going on here to get me on board with Williamsport. I have to say it sounds REALLY nice though.
I'm glad your mom is there to help out for a little while. That's priceless!!!

Recovery Guru said...

You are one brave woman! I really don't think I am brave enough to go through labor without an epidural! He is an adorable little boy, and I love the pictures of him with Gracie and Sammy!

Jen said...

Julie,
First things first... Happy Bloomin' Birthday! I must say that you have a wonderful husband... for him to take over the blog duty (and do a VERY good job by the way, David) and to have your birthday present ready and that day special for you in the midst of his school exams... That's so sweet and so great. (P.S. I had no doubt that David would get anything less than an A... I remember how he always got As while you and I struggle to get our heads above Cs and sometimes even Ds!!)
OK... So now on to the new Joy in your life. Benson Alexander is so cute and truly looks so perfect in many ways! Way to Deliver a 9 pounder though, Julie! Thats great! I'm so glad that you blog and tell all the good and bad because it makes me feel more comfortable about pregnancy, something I have yet to experience, but continually worry about.
Julie, I am so happy for you and your family. Tell Gracie that I wish I had a brother because I never had one (only sisters for me)and that someday she will be grateful for two little brothers!
I send all my Loves to your cute family!
Congratulations!

Alesha said...

It is a good thing you want lots of kids, you will give Gracie plenty of chances for a sister. He's a cute little guy Julie!

The Brown Family said...

He is so darling! Congrats!

Carlos said...

Wow! What a day you had! I have to agree with Caralee, even after my epiduralS didn't work, I still don't know I could do it without one...at least on an induction where the contractions start up imediately. He is a cutie! Congrats!

The Johnson Family said...

I am so glad that everything went so well. He is so cute. It makes me baby hungry....good thing I am pregnant.

Heather B said...

I almost cried reading that. What a wonderful story. And NO epidural, I am AMAZED, way to go. He is just so precious, congrats again!

Alice said...

At least Gracie didn't get you to promise to have a pinkie pie :D. I love the Halloween pics. It was fun running into you all today. Happy Halloween!