*david*julie*gracie*samual*benson*brigham*


Sunday, September 19, 2010

Good News and Bad News


Well, we have some good news and some bad news.


The good news is that Brigham continues to improve every day. He is on just a whiff of oxygen in his isolette (3% over normal air). He is on 1/2 liter of oxygen by nasal canula (that plastic thing in his nose) when he is out of the isolette, down from 1 liter yesterday. He looked so good this evening and it is getting harder and harder to leave him there when I come home for portions of each day.

The bad news... No matter how good he looks he won't be coming home until Friday. He had some tests ordered on Friday. He has had a urinary tract infection. One of the tests, the urine culture, was to find out just exactly what bug was making him sick so they would know exactly which antibiotic would make him better. The hope was that it would be something he could take orally so that he could come home as soon as he was able. But for some reason, although the test was requested verbally, it wasn't written down, so the lab never did it. Now instead of knowing what antibiotic he might be able to take from home, he has to stay at the hospital and finish his weeks worth of IV antibiotics. We have been very blessed because my parents have been here to take care of our kids and actually to take care of me too. They have been AMAZING!!!! I never would have made it through these last few days without them. The days have blurred together until I don't know which way I am going or even if my shirt is on forwards or backwards. They have kept things going smoothly and perfectly at home. But they have to leave on Tuesday and David has to go back to work on Monday. I am terrified of this next week of not being able to be in both places at once.. But we are also very blessed to have great nurses that will take care of Brigham for us during the times during this next week when we can't make it to every feeding and can't be there to take care of him every minute. They already do so much for him and I know that they will be happy and willing to do everything that they can for us! We live so close to the hospital that I can drive there in seriously like one minute and walk in less than five. We will continue to do the best we can and I know that Heavenly Father will continue to bless us! I just wish we could bring little Brigham Duke home.

9 comments:

Sarah said...

I'm so sorry. I wish he could just get better. Do they know how he got the infection? He's in my prayers. Love you

Anonymous said...

Your son is good hands with God! Love and miss you. CINDA

Recovery Guru said...

So sorry sister! I can't imagine how difficult this will be for you. I know that your heart is with your new little boy and to have to be away from him will be so hard. I hope and pray that this week goes by fast for you guys.

Heather B said...

Oh man, that picture of him is just adorable. I am so glad that you've had your parents there, and also that the hospital is so close. Hoping your little guy can come home soon, I've heard it's super duper hard to have to leave your baby at the hospital!!

Jamey said...

That is so lucky that you live so close to the hospital, but also hard to know that he is just next door and can't be home with you and the kids. I hope they get him feeling well soon! Hang in there!

Jennie said...

I can't imagine how hard that must be. My thoughts and prayers are with your family. I hope that Brigham gets better quickly.

Mary Ann said...

Oh Julio! I'm sorry he has to stay at the hospital until Friday! I wish I could come watch your other kids for you this week so that you could spend more time with your little one. That is such a cute picture of him! He is just so cute! I love you lots! Oh and by the way Jacob and I have been singing Duke of Earl all weekend long! Love you!

TeamBlaylock said...

He's looking so much better from the new pic!! I bet it's hard to leave him but he'll be home soon! I'm glad your fam has been there to help. I can't imagine how hard this has been to go through.

Shonna said...

You are amazing; and Heavenly Father will make sure everything works out. I'm guessing your ward family will help you next week. Ours sure did when Caleb was in the NICU and our families were out in Utah. And it takes a special person to be a NICU nurse; Brigham is in good hands.