*david*julie*gracie*samual*benson*brigham*


Wednesday, September 15, 2010

At the Hospital - Blogging Live

This is the intrepid husband(now intrepid doctor husband), blogging live at the sceneWe've just walked into my hospital. Julie's water has broken today. She visited the OB/Gyn office earlier, and things are great, she's ready to have a baby! Mom made it in town and so Grandma wont miss a grand baby being born!

We've got her settled into the room, and ready to get going. I personally reported to the ob about the beautiful patient I was very attracted too who just showed up. We got her settled in a room, after walking through the ER to get registered. Most of the staff knew me, and wished us luck as we walked through. Julie is radiant, and ready as always to have a baby--no epidural!!


Grandma is doing the dula thing-rubbing feet with oils and keeping the patient happy. Here we go! We've just started this adventure for the next kid---a boy.
More to come, stay tuned!

Now Julie's been on Pit for a couple hours, and contractions are up to the requisite speed. She's feeling them and still shunning the epidural. We're playing lots of Phase 10. Its Julie's game she plays while she's in labor. So Grandma Leslie is kicking our butt. She's having way too much fun. Julie is moving a long like we've watched her do many times before, we were pretty much running the show. We had a great nurse, and nursery nurse, and a fantastic OB/Gyn.

And it came to pass, that the time for delivery was immanent, and we called the nurse. The nursed checked her, did a test push, and it came to pass that the nurse called another nurse and let the doctor know that the season of delivery had come. The Intrepid Doctor Husband (that's me) gowned and gloved up like a real doctor.

Julie pushed for no more than 15 minutes, and after a short stint of a stuck shoulder, that the OB/Gyn fixed in a jiffy, we had a baby boy.

This is Brigham Banks, 8lbs, 7 oz, 21 inches long. Julie was great!

Soon after he was born, the nurses were concerned he was breathing too fast, and not keeping his sats up.

This is called transient tachypnea of the newborn, a common condition meaning a little extra water on the lungs that's hard to get out

So right after birth he was in an incubator with some extra oxygen.







Julie and I have had him out with some Oxygen by nasal canula, and he's doing okay, we're about to go watch as they wean him off of it to see how he does.

Here we go.

Intrepid Doctor Husband Out.

12 comments:

Lexa said...

Has she always had an epidural (Or never have one?) I only had one with an epidural and swore I would never do it again! My easiest labor was the one without any painkiller.

Sarah said...

wahoo! Are you gonna deliver him david? I'm so excited I dont want to sleep tonight!!!!

David said...

Yes the plan is for me to deliver the baby.

Sarah Keith said...

SO I know the baby must have been born by now, so I am just waiting to hear the news! Somebody call me! I love you Julie! Cant wait to see that angel! You are amazing! Go mama Banks for being the best Doula ever!

The Brown Family said...

congrats you guys! he's darling and I love the name....I have a brother named Brigham too :o)
Way to go Julie!!

Mary Ann said...

I'm sorry he has had to be on O2 and in an incubator! I hope everything works out with weaning him off oxygen. He is so cute! Congrats David on getting to deliver Brigham! I love the name by the way! And good work Julie on getting him here! You are awesome! Love you lots!

TeamBlaylock said...

AWESOME!! Loved the play by play! CONGRATS to both!!

The Isoms said...

Congrats!!!! He's a cute! Love the blog post!!! That is GREAT!!
Glad you both are doing good!

Heather B said...

Great job guys! I can't believe Julie could stand the pain of contractions on PITOCIN and still not have an epidural. She's unbelievable! Hope Brigham gets breathing well soon, he's darling, congratulations guys!

Anonymous said...

What a handsome boy! Congrats Julie and David.

Recovery Guru said...

He looks a lot like David!! Congrats on the new little guy! I wish I was there so that I could meet him too!! Give him a big fat kiss and snuggle from his aunt Caralee!

Jennie said...

He is so cute! I hope everything is going well with him in the incubator. My first was in there with a lung infection and it can be scarry. I'm thinking of you and will keep you all in my prayers.