*david*julie*gracie*samual*benson*brigham*


Friday, September 17, 2010

From the Hospital - Update

This is the Intrepid Husband with an update. Before we begin today's blog post, I want to recap on a phone conversation that happened last night.

Julie calls the house, and I pick up the phone
David: Hi Honey, how's everything?
Julie: Good, Brigham ate really well, more than they expected he would!
David: That's great, but he's still in the isolette?
Julie: Yes, probably another day.
David: Oh good.
Julie: So, um... *awkward pause* ...what would you think about changing Brigham's middle name to Duke?
David: *stunned silence* Really?
Julie: *optimistic retort* Yea, Really.
David: *confused query* Why?
Julie: Cause it's cute and the boys (Sammy and Benson) like it!
David: *still confused* Didn't your dad say that name only to keep Gracie from naming him pumpkin?
Julie: Yes, but he (Brigham) likes it.
David: *what do you say to that?*
Julie: My mom and I talked about it and I think we should change it to Duke.
David: Are you serious?
Julie: *firm reply* YES!
David: Um...can I think about it? *an off-phone conversation ensues with David accusing Grandpa of planting seeds in the obviously pain-killer addled brain of his sweet wife*
Julie: So, how long do you need? Another minute or two?
David: Um, no, I'll call you back. *The sound of children, fighting, and name calling in the background* You're serious, really?
Julie:*confident adieu* Yes, love you, call me later, bye!

So, there you have it. That's pretty much how it happened. My son is a Duke. Brigham Duke. Just like that.

This is Julie now: Let me give you a little more information about the above conversation. There has been a lot talk about what our little baby's name would be over the last several months. Sammy decided on Monday that it should be Pumpkin because that is what my stomach looked like. Finally the kids all agreed on a name... oh great they want to turn their brother into a vegetable. Before that there had been Mario, Luigi, Sammy, Benson, Peter Pan, Prince Derek... the list goes on about like that. When my parents came into town, my dad couldn't stand the thought of him being called "Pumpkin" so he started saying, "We want DUKE!" The boys quickly picked up on it. Even Benson, who I am sure didn't even remember his grandpa (it has been more than a year since they have seen each other) quickly warmed up to him and the name Duke and has been going around pounding his little fist on the table shouting "DUKE" ever since grandpa arrived. My mom told me that when she showed them the first pictures of baby Brigham he was saying, "Baby... baby Duke." I just thought it was so cute and it made me so happy, I wanted to change his name to Duke. Now we call him Brigham or Duke all the time. I can tell it makes the baby happy.

Back to David, Intrepid Doctor Husband

So, It's not that I don't LIKE the name Duke, it's fine name for rich snobby people who were born into positions they didn't earn *Julie just slugged me and pinched my arm*, Not to mention every time I see him or think of his name, I hear Duke of Earl singing in my head. *Shout out to my old Boys Quartet "Boyz to RM"--Julie rolled her eyes at me* I have to admit, and Julie did point this out, now he's not destined to go to Brigham Young University, he can go to Duke University in the Carolinas. (Not that he would anyway with his father encouraging the "Ute" in each of his kids--Julie shouted Go Cougars in the background).

So, now he's Brigham Duke. It kinda grows on you.

Here is a medical update from Doctor. So The Duke, has Transient Tachypnea of the Newborn or TTN. It is essentially retained fluid in the lungs after the baby's born. It usually happens after C-sections, when the baby isn't squeezed out, but Grandma, and Dr. Dad think he may have gulped in some "gunk" (Medical term). He's had a chest x-ray that should some extra fluid and most importantly, his breathing rate is mostly >100 breaths per minute. Baby's usually breath in the 40-60 range. So. He's breathing too fast. This means he could get more sick with complications stemming from that, but they treat him in an isolette extra oxygen, and it helps slow his breathing, and give him time to take care of the fluid. Day 2, he's doing well, the pediatricians are awesome! The residents as well, who I asked to be involved, have been incredible.

Julie's doing well, he has breast fed once, and but they are not letting her breastfeed more due to his oxygen needs. If all is well, then tonight we'll try breastfeeding again, and if that goes well, then he can come out of the isolette and tomorrow home!

**UPDATE**
The Residents just came in to tell us that his temperature is creeping up a little. Since he has TTN anyway, we need to check for a source. Newborn shouldn't have higher temps. So, Blood culture, Urine Culture, and another X-ray. He's doing well otherwise--more active today, eating alright, pooping and peeing, etc. The nurse even commented that he has stinky farts. I told her that was hereditary. So, this is where we are now. A little more worriesome, but with a great team of doctors and nurses, I know we're doing great.
David

More pictures to come, we had to charge the camera battery. Oops - Dad and Mom forgot.

This is the Intrepid Doctor Husband (and my Julie) Signing out.

11 comments:

Sarah said...

Julie I have something funny to tell you before you make it official. Its ok though if it already is.

Zukas Family said...

Love you guys! AND LOVE the name! I hope our boys can be room-mates at BYU;) or mission companions some day. Bronco and Duke!!! Those are some strong names. Love it! We'll be praying "the Duke" gets better soon.

Jennie said...

You two seriously make me laugh! I hope that Brigham Duke goes home to his siblings very soon. David, just be glad it wasn't "Sparkles" the grandparents were voting for like mine were. It was hard to convince my girls "Brianna Hope Best" was a better name than "Brianna Sparkles Best" or even "Lily Sparkles Best".

LeAnn said...

Funny you guys. I love to see the conversation between you two! I can read love between the lines! I think the name Duke is so cute.(Love the "Duke of Earl) image so funny!) But I definately think with a name like Brigham he needs to go to BYU! Ask any one of my boys they will probably tell you the same thing. We are praying for baby Duke! It is always a little scary to have your baby in the hospital no matter the reason. We love you guys! Can't wait to see more pics of that sweet boy!

LeAnn

Mary Ann said...

Thanks for the update! I like the name Duke! I think it's cute and it fits him! I'm sorry about the extra complications! I'm sure you are just wanting to snuggle that baby and take him home, but aren't you so grateful for hospitals and modern technology so that when something like this does happen it can be taken care of! We are keeping you in our prayers! Love you lots!

Lexa said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Recovery Guru said...

LOL. That will be a fun story to tell him when he gets older. When Mom told me about Dad getting the kids to like the name duke I was thinking that it was a cute name. Anyway I am hoping and praying that little Brigham gets better quick and can come home to his adoring siblings soon!

nicole ramey said...

love the name its kinda of weird i just downloaded that song for my mom but i hope everything goes well for the baby and everyone you all are in my prayers

jolyne77 said...

Thank you for the update. He is so handsome you guys. Its funny to know the story behind the name ;-) Personally, I love the name Duke. I think its strong with a vintage influence. Now if we can find something like that lol..... We'll still keep your little Duke in our prayers... Julie...again, you're amazing (David...you're a lucky man ;-)) you look fantastic btw... Keep feeling better...both you and Brigham.

BERNOTSKI FAMILY said...

Now I know why I heard the Duke of Earl playing when I got to your blog. Lots of prayers for speedy recoveries. I think my boys have a new favorite song.. They are at this moments jamming to Duke of Earl "duke duke duke..."

Sharlon said...

Not just snobby rich people are named Duke. If you remember Ryan totally loves the Dukes of Hazzard..... Lukas and Bo are named after the characters Bo and Luke Duke, so we are way excited to have a Duke as the newest member of your family.

Congrats to you all. Duke is adorable!!!!!