*david*julie*gracie*samual*benson*brigham*


Friday, April 25, 2008

HELP!!!!

I need help! My trip to St. George is looming very close, and while I am so excited to be there and see all of my friends and family, the getting there part is scaring me to death!!! I have never flown on my own with two kids before. The flight is 4 hours with several hours in the airport. I got some great ideas from Emily (thanks Emily!) but I thought I would see if anyone else has any ideas to go along with them. I know that some of you have a lot more experience than I do with the whole traveling alone with kids thing... So any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated! I guess I can be grateful that one of my kids is still safely tucked away in my tummy instead of like the lady pictured below huh? Still I worry I am going to feel like her...

11 comments:

Recovery Guru said...

You have heard all of my suggestions but I think that the similarities in that picture is kind of funny.
1-you have brown hair and always talk on the phone sometimes when Gracie is acting up
2-Gracie has red hair and is the oldest
3-Sammy will be the second child and may also have reddish hair
4-the baby in the mom's arms totally looks like a girl and that is what I think you are having!
like I said kind of funny!

Anonymous said...

Here are my suggestions that seemed to work with Tyler.

1) Buy some cheap dollar store toys and trade out every hour.
2) ColorWonder markers and paper/coloring books.
3) Gum or suckers for take-offs and landings (especially landings) to equalize the pressure in their ears (drinking is also good).
4) Go to lds.org and print up some funstuffs from old issues of the Friend. Slip them into page protectors and attach them in a small binder or folder with brambles (brads). Use a dry erase marker on the page protector so they can be re-used.
5) Lots of snacks (more than you think you would need). Don't forget snacks for mommy too. Us pregnant gals need to eat.
6) Books to read.
7) Make the layover an adventure. Print up pictures of different things they may see in an airport, and see who can find them all.
8) If your layover is during a mealtime, have a picnic. Try to find an out of the way corner, lay a blanket down, and eat.
9) If you have a laptop that can play movies, or a portable dvd player, bring along movies they like.

I'm sure there are plenty more, but that's all I can remember off the top of my head.

Levi and Suzi said...

My suggestion is to fly after 8:00 p.m. so they sleep the whole time! :) Oh, and we left some cookies in your car yesterday...hope you found them. :)

Heather B said...

I would take some benadryl...just in case. :)

Heather B said...

I would take some benadryl...just in case. :)

Julie said...

Suzi, thanks for the cookies! They were so good. We wondered where they came from! Thank-you!

Heather,
Benedryl has the opposite effect on Gracie. It makes her wired. I am thinking of trying it on Sammy either today or Sunday to see if it does the same to him.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I will tell you how it goes.... dun dun dun (can you imagine the scary music).

Julie Kohler said...

Hi Julie-o! I am so excited you are coming! I have never flown with kids, let alone all by myself, so I wish you the very best of luck! Hopefully Gracie will be so enthralled with all the new adventures and fun things to see that she won't be too much of a handfull, and a big help with Sammy! We went to Inspiration's spring show last night, lots of memories! We got to see Mary, the cutie engaged girl! Wish you guys could have been there! Bri, Ali, Emily Heaton, and of course most of the Ellsworth clan were there, including Jodi, Nick and Ben, and Josh, who married Melody Dick and is expecting their first little boy in May! Can you believe that Joi is 10 yrs old!!!???? Made me feel old..... see you soon!

The Johnson Family said...

I am with everyone on the snack idea. That is what I do with my two hyper boys. I bring a ton of snacks, two dvd players, and lots of movies. Be prepared, and then pray the whole time.

Brook

Emily said...

one more thing... use sky cap to check in!!! The worst part of the airport is waiting in line to check your bags and stuff. I used skycap when I went with Abby by myself, and I didn't have cash for a tip, but they didn't seem to mind. It was a life saver. Some skycaps are charging per bag now, so you might want some cash.

Robin Keith said...

To put everyone's mind to rest...they made it just fine...We got a security pass to the gate which was changed...
and had to hustle to another gate...but they came off very nicely. Grandma Banks and Grandma Keith told the ticket guy that we had a pregnant mother with a one year old and a three year old that counts for four three year olds. They let us pass... they usually only let one but I guess we looked so desperate to hold babies long not seen, that they let us both go...Julie did a great job and so did the little ones. Now the trip from LV to ST. G was another story... they had had enough of sitting in belted seats. Don't blame them. Got to Grandma Bank's in time to play in sprinklers and run, run, run. YeaH! Everyone safe and sound delivered and happy again to be with the grandmas!

Alesha said...

Ok I am so sad i have been missing your blog...did you go private? and then unprivate? Flying with kids is never fun! I feel for ya. I cam glad they didnt seem to be too terrible!