*david*julie*gracie*samual*benson*brigham*


Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Warning, angry pregnant lady on the loose!

So I was sitting in a waiting room with my kids today. They were playing and being pretty good. No temper tantrums, no screeming, no hitting, biting or kicking. All in all, not to bad. Gracie did wander a little bit though. She opened the door into another waiting room and went down about 5 steps and was playing with some toys and a little girl. As soon as I realized that she had moved I made her come back. I may be a little over protective, but I don't think any mom would leave her 3 year old out of her line of vision in a strange office full of strange people. Anyway, as I was having Gracie come back to the area I was in, I could hear some lady saying, "Teach her to keep her dress down!" Gracie was wearing a dress, but it was down and I thought nothing more of it. Anyway, as we were leaving the office we had to walk back through the other waiting room and the same lady looked at me and in a voice like I must be the worst parent ever said again, "Teach her to keep her dress down!" Yes it is true, that when Gracie is wearing a dress and climbing into a chair I have on occasion seen her pull her dress up so she can get into the chair (on occasion being once two days ago at church). And of course I told her, "Good job Gracie! Why don't you pull your dress even higher and let the whole world see your underwear!" NOT!!! Of course I told her to pull her dress down. But you know something, little 3 year olds have minds of their own, and I would say that my little 3 year old is particularly obstinate (maybe all mother's of 3 year olds feel that way...). I was so irritated by this woman though!!! I wanted to say, "Lady you raise your kids and I will raise mine!" I didn't say that. All I said was "Thank-you." As if I had never thought about teaching my daughter that she shouldn't pull up her dress and she had just enlightened me. She was again rude and said, "Don't say thank-you. Just teach her to keep her dress down." We walked out the door and didn't say another word, however sorely I was tempted. As we were crossing the street to get back to our car I really wanted to go back and tell her off!!! I still feel ticked even now! I mean really! We were in a room with a bunch of ladies, and I don't even think there was a little boy in there! Did it really hurt her to see my 3 year old's underwear? I am sure it is these crazy pregnancy emotions that have me so upset over this. I have been randomly blissful, crying hysterically, and angry as heck for the last few days. Anyway, I just needed to get that off my chest. I am not sure how much better I feel, but it is always good to talk out these crazy emotions (even if it is just on your blog and maybe no one will even read it). Right? Thanks for letting me vent.

18 comments:

LeAnn said...

I think you handled the situation beautifully considering that crazy lady's rudeness. So good job Sistah! I can totally relate to all the crazy emotions of pregnancy. It usually gets the worst for me during the last trimester so good luck with all that. You are super cute! I sure do miss ya!

Love you,
LeAnn

The Johnson Family said...

I am wondering if I have a good idea of where you were at, when this occured (the one waiting room steps up from the other one) and I can tell you that if it happened where I think it did I am not that surprised. I do not think they are nice there. You handled that sooooo much better than I would have. You did great!!

Anonymous said...

Wow! What nerve. Some people just amaze me. I would have been wanting to snap back at her too. Good job for controlling yourself. I would have been so tempted to tell her, "If I want your opinion, I'll give it to you."

Alesha said...

No that is NOT ok and I would have been so TICKED! I always wonder were random strangers get off thinking they should tell you how to raise you kids. BE QUITE!

Sarah said...

This lady was sitting there so concerned about manners yet she apparently didn't have any. It is never anyone's right to tell you how to raise your kids!! It's not like you neglect them or abuse them. I probably would have had less restraint and told her off! I am proud of you for doing the right thing and just ignoring her.

Julie Kohler said...

I know I SHOULD say way to go on not telling her off, but now MY prego attitude is bristling for you! Let me at her! Oh yeah, I'm on the other side of the country...
but really, you were the better person by handling it the way you did, I would have been sorely tempted to tell her exactly how rude she was!

Recovery Guru said...

I can't believe that some random stranger would be that blunt and rude! You are a much bigger person than I am sister I think I want to take Julie Kohlers attitude "Don't make me come over there, Let me at her!" Nobody is going to talk to my sister like that and get away with it! I totally agree that you should have told her what she said was rude and that she should mind her own business!

Cicely said...

You are too nice. I would've just slapped her.

Anonymous said...

And the correct answer is: "Someone should teach YOU to mind your own business."

In the kindest possible Miss Manners tone of course.

The Isoms said...

Some people just need to keep comments to themselves. I think you handled it very well. I wouldn't have known what to say...I probably would have made some rude sarcastic comment and then regretted it later!

Carlos said...

Wow! I think that lady was a little cranky....good job on keeping your cool and not bursting out into tears or biting her head off. I agree...who the heck cares if a 3 year old occasionally pulls her dress up....hehe, just keep smiling....

Robin Keith said...

You did well...just remember, people are rude and make us crazy sometimes to find those buttons in us that need to be calmed...she just wanted to see if she could make a rise out of you...
You didn't let her...bravo, now forget it...she is a miserable human who just doesn't have as much joy and love as you...

Heather B said...

My pregnant hormones started boiling just READING the story (and I was wanting you to tell her off REALLY BAD, but I probably would have done the same thing.) What a crank.

Julie said...

Thanks everyone! It is nice to know I am not the only one who would have been frustrated by this!!! You are right Brook. I was where you thought I was. Yes everyone, I was at the WIC office. I don't know why I find it kind of humiliating to admit that. I know they have a great program. Anyway, thanks everyone for being so supportive!!! Love ya all!

MPk said...

Did that lady look like the lady on Princess Bride that kept saying 'Boo...Boo! Bow to the Queen of Muck...the Queen of Scum...'

Well, we think she looked like that and you should have just taken her lines and said them right at her! That would do it! (But way to be the better person and just walk away)

We love you!

-Micah & Sarah

Alice said...

'K, obviously you don't need ANOTHER comment, but bravo. I can imagine how nerve-racking that must have been. I would have been shaking all the way home--in fact I'm a little shaky for you right now. Hopefully that woman can follow your good example some day. It sound like one of those "pray for your enemies" type things. At least I'm sure that Gracie will follow your good example. Kudos.

Emily said...

We were at a McDonalds a while ago and Abby was making fun cute kiddie noises, not screaming or crying just making noises. And then an old lady humphed and got out of her booth next to us and moved away. Jon and I were mad and wondered, do people expect a nice quiet dinner at McDonalds? Stupid crazy people.

Becky said...

Julie, I think all us prego ladies would have been emotional at a comment made by some strange lady. Way to go on holding your own and showing her who the bigger person is... I wouldn't have been quite so eloquent!