*david*julie*gracie*samual*benson*brigham*


Thursday, October 7, 2010

Open House

Gracie's school had an open house last night. We were almost late. But there was no way in you no where I was dragging all of my kids to her school and around to half a dozen different classrooms (see previous post if you wonder why). So we waited for David to get home, had a quick family dinner and then Gracie and I went on our own. We started out in her home room class. She LOVES her teacher. Her teacher told me that Gracie loves to draw, dance, sing and hum, and that she makes sure that her teacher is following the school rules too. Gracie once shushed her teacher because she was humming in the hall (humming in the hall is NOT allowed... it is something that will get your car moved to the yellow or red light). Her teacher also said Gracie is doing great in math (100% on both of the tests they have taken). Then we went to see Gracie's reading teacher. But on the way Gracie had to take me to the classes of her friends. All of the teachers know Gracie by name and all tell me what a delightful happy girl she is. She has hugs for all of the teachers as she passes them. It makes me laugh to see how social she is, probably because I am the complete opposite (completely shy). Gracie is in the highest reading class and is doing marvelously! Her teacher told me she wishes she could have a whole class room of Gracie's. I could see that she had a sweet relationship with her reading teacher (rather than the fake one I could see that she had with the gym teacher who gave me the fake smile and same line she was giving all of the parents... "She is doing just great, and call me if you need anything." but of course she sees her reading teacher a lot more, every day instead of once every 6 days). Her reading teacher also said that she can see that Gracie is going to be able to be what ever she wants to be someday because she is so determined and happy. Gracie took me to see her music teacher and sang us both the song they had been learning. We met her computer teacher. Gracie showed me the lunchroom and the library. We missed the art teacher because we were so late. I have never seen an elementary school where the kindergarten kids go from room to room for different blocks of time like they do in middle and high school. That must be why walking quietly in the hall is such a big deal. I am so happy that she is thriving in the structured environment so well!!! Not that she has never had a mishap or had her car land on the dreaded yellow or red light, but for the most part she is doing AMAZING!!! Because she is amazing. We stopped at Krispy Kreme on the way home and got Halloween donuts to celebrate. I sure love that little girl. I feel like one lucky lady because I get to be her mom.

2 comments:

Sarah Keith said...

That is so so so great! Keep it up Gracie! We love you!

Mary Ann said...

I'm glad you liked going to her open house! I think it is funny that Gracie shushed her teacher in the hall when she was humming! She is such a cute girl! I can't believe she is big enough to do things like go to school and read and stuff! I love that little girl!