*david*julie*gracie*samual*benson*brigham*


Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Dear So-and-so

Dear little-boy-with-a-phobia-of-closed-doors,

What am I going to do with you? We went to church on Sunday and all through Sacrament meeting you kept begging to go to nursery (except when you were begging to go home to get some milk). But as soon as it is time to go to nursery, you don't want to go... unless I go with you of course. When I dropped you off at nursery you cried and begged me to stay with you. I snuck away when you were distracted, but when I heard you crying because I was gone a few minutes later I came back. I decided to bring you to my class with me. You came to Relief Society last week and you are actually pretty reverent. You saw Brother May a few minutes before Relief Society started and you know that he has a pocket full of candy for the kids that are good in their classes. He wouldn't give you one until after you went to nursery though. He took you by the hand and took you to nursery himself. As soon as you got into the classroom though you started crying for you mommy. Brother May was able to get you to settle down though and then he left you there and Brother Snedaker took over trying to help you be happy. But you cried for me again. He said he took you out into the hall and you stopped crying but as soon as he tried to take you back into nursery you cried again... until you asked to keep the door open just a little. You seem to be okay as long as there is no closed door in between us. You are the same way at home actually. If the door is closed between us you freak out until you are practically hyperventilating. You are even aware of the door being open when you are fast asleep. Sometimes when your Daddy has to get up early in the morning to go to school he tries to close your door so that he won't wake you up, but you wake up immediately and cry until the door is open. How do you do that? How can you know when you are fast asleep whether the door is open or closed? I am truly amazed by you! You are having a lot of separation anxiety over being apart from your mother. Even if I just leave you in a different room for a second while I go change the laundry or to grab a towel to get you out of the tub. You are constantly telling me, "Don't be right back mom. Don't be right back." Or you come up to me and say. "I am right here mom." I know where you are love, and to quote words much more famous than mine, "I promised I would never leave you, And you should always know, Where ever you may go, No matter where you are, I never will be far away." Don't be afraid Sammy. I love you and I am right here. Forever.

Love,
Your Mom

11 comments:

Jennie said...

There's a book about racoons called "the goodbye kiss" or something like that. The mom racoon kisses the hand of the baby racoon and anytime he gets lonely or scared he puts his kissed hand to his face and it calms him down. Maybe if you read him that story and kiss his hand it will help. I've heard a lot of teachers recommend that for their new students. It might be worth a try.

Sarah Keith said...

He loves his mommy!

Mary Ann said...

That really is very sweet Julie. I'm sorry you two had a rough time in church. You are such a good Mom! No wonder your kids want to be with you always! Poor Sammy! I wonder why he has such separation anxiety right now! Being a kid is tough work!

David said...

It's probably because his father is AWOL trying to learn medicine. He's always happy when I come home and gives me a hug.

Jennie said...

If you're interested in the book it's actually called "The Kissing Hand." Good luck. I know it gets frustrating when your child is so clingy.

Jen said...

Julie,
That is so adorable! Sammy is so lucky to have a Mom like you! I know how Sammy feels... :) I kind of felt that way when we worked at the bank together and I was a new employee. Who wouldn't want you to leave! Good luck with Nursery though.

Cicely said...

Don't be right back! How cute! and sad.

Becky said...

Awwwww.... that is so sweet! He is attached because you are such a great mommy! :)

Neal Family said...

AHHH That is so hilarious and cute, well maybe not so cute for you guys!:) Ok, I have sung lullaby by Billy Joel since Alex was a little baby....love that song:) Your family is awesome!

Lisa said...

Oh, Julie. I miss you. This brought tears to my eyes. I hope you guys are well. I think of you often. Love, Lisa

Emily said...

Breaks my heart. He loves you! Are you moving soon?